Scandinavians are one of the happiest nations in the world. Despite of the accelerating speed of their lives and the multitude of tasks, they are able to find peace and concentration. This is closely related to their close relationship to Hygge’s ideology. In their homes they are masters at creating a cosy environment and enjoying even the smallest of things.
Here are 10 examples of how to find Hygge in the little things that we could miss every day.
1. Always be prepared for unexpected guests. Remember to keep delicious cookies or cake for this occasion. It is a good idea to freeze fresh baked goods or to look for a nice pastry shop. An additional advantage in building Hyggelig atmosphere at home is the smell of baked cake.
2. Try to relax and forget about the existing problems. A perfect solution in this case are various types of hobbies. Knitting, sewing or just a good book. They allow you to isolate yourself for a moment from the surrounding world and rest your mind. This kind of regeneration is essential for proper functioning.
3. Give up at least for a moment any distracting technological novelties. Silence your smartphone, tablet, put down your computer or smartwatch. Technology is an indispensable element of today’s life but can also cause a lot of damage. Approach it in moderation and life will become more pleasant.
4. Fresh air! Go for a walk – to the park, garden, run with your dog. Any outdoor activity has a positive effect on the body and improves the mood 🙂
5. Meet with friends and enjoy their company. There is a Swedish term for this – fika, which means a short coffee break with friends combined with something tasty to eat. A wonderful opportunity to relax.
6. The Scandinavians are one of the largest consumers of candles in the world. This is no coincidence. Lighting a candle gives you an instant Hygge effect! Warm light, a glowing wick and dimmed room – together they create an atmosphere of intimacy and relaxation.
7. Besides the use of candles, dim artificial light sources in the home. Scandinavia is an area where artificial light is extremely important because of the shortage of sunlight. Dimming bulbs not only saves energy but also allows for deep relaxation and even a short healthy nap.
8. At home wear comfortable clothes (can be pajamas!), soft slippers or warm socks. Sit comfortable on the couch and turn on your favorite program or movie. Don’t forget about tasty snacks – remember everything in moderation 🙂
9. Decorate your home, let it become your escape cave from everyday life. I suggest you opt for non-distracting minimalism with a hint of home warmth. Keep the balance in this – excessive ascetism or the way towards excessive accumulation of objects are not good solutions.
10. Focus on Scandinavian design, hand-made furniture, durability, timeless and natural furniture.
If You found this article intresting, please visit our blog where you will learn more about Scandinavian design and our company.
SFD Skandinavisk Möbeldesign
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?
The true autumn is coming, with the long weekends , maybe this is the time to meet family and friends. I suggest you to make a real impression on them and arrange a atmospheric table. On the photos below I present beautiful table decorations in warm autumn colors....
Raw wood is a timeless accent of the home. It gives it a noble expression and its presence brings us closer to nature. At the same time, it warms the room in an unusual way, breaking the simplicity and neutral colors of modern arrangements. Solid wood furniture...
For the brave ones and those who appreciate the beauty of nature. We would like to invite you on an extraordinary journey through the beautiful Swedish landscapes and show you how inspiring and beautiful nature can be. Walking the Kungsleden (King`s Trail) in the...